Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Functional dressing

Getting dressed at the moment takes a bit more thought than usual as I'm feeding Baby C myself, so this means anything I wear needs to be breast feeding friendly. 

Most nursing wear is totally not my thing, the majority of it seems to be wrap tops which I don't really like. I would love to design a young, trendier range of nursing clothes. Maternity wear has come on leaps and bounds in recent years with the likes of ASOS and Topshop doing some great pieces, but nursing wear just hasn't caught up sadly.

So in the absence of specific nursing clothes I've had to modify my outfits to accommodate feeding time while out and about. 

I wear a nursing bra and a normal vest every day, so the top layer just needs to be able to pull up to work. I started of wearing a lot of shirts, but you do end up exposing a bit of top boob this way. So I now wear jumpers and sweatshirts more. So I unclick bra, vest goes down, top goes up and away we go. It's working so far and I'm sure no one has been flashed just yet. I've even had a few men stand and talk to me while I've been feeding and they haven't caught on, because I know if they did they'd probably get all embarrassed and run for the hills!! 

I'm getting frustrated that I can't wear dresses though. I have a few new ones that I bought in the late stages of pregnancy that are taunting me from the wardrobe everyday. There's no way they are going to work anytime soon, so I just have to accept it! First world problems eh? 

In baby news Baby C is now 7 weeks old and has slept through the night for the last 4 nights, she even done an amazing 10 hours last night!! Her big brother slept through from that age too. Marlene from Chocolate, Cookies and Candies said I could make millions selling my secret but sadly for my bank balance I don't have one. Mr T'n'P loves his sleep so I'm putting it down to that! It's fustrating when he falls asleep mid conversation, but not so fustrating when you wake up at 7:30am and both kids are still happily snoozing away!! 

In other amazing news I finally got me a pair of flat yellow shoes!! Yellow shoes are my holy grail, as I wear so much of it. I can't tell you the amount of yellow shoes I've ordered and sent back. But I've hit the jackpot with these babies. They are the perfect shade of yellow (and believe me there are plenty!) comfy and with a perfect point! If you fancy them be quick, there are only limited sizes left. 



Necklace from my shop
H&M Breton
Only jeans via ASOS 



Necklace from my shop 
F&F shell top
Zara jeans 
Next shoes


Necklace from my shop
New look shirt
Matalan trousers 
H&M boots 

Check out this gorgeous River Island jumpsuit- I tried it on knowing I had nowhere to wear it to. I was very restrained and left empty handed, but I'm thinking I really need it in my life. It's hard to see but it has a citrus stripe in it too. It would even be nursing friendly so it's practically made for me, so I think a cheeky online purchase is in order. 


Tx 

24 comments:

  1. 7 weeks that is fabulous, mine were 12 weeks. I didn't breast feed - tried with 1st with no success, so haven't had this fashion problem. You should design some things........ you never know what it could lead to!! Great oufits....... I still was like a whale until 6 months after....... pure fashion despair. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to Ann-Marie, there's definitely a real gap in the market. 12 weeks is brilliant too, we are both very lucky!

      Delete
  2. Trea you look amazing & I'm totally loving those shoes but do they stay on well as I was a bit put off from ordering them as I thought my foot might keep slipping out due to there not being much shoe to keep it in!!!
    Jane xx
    My Midlife Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same Jane, but they stay on really well. I usually can't wear that style of shoe but these are great. Definitely worth ordering!!

      Delete
  3. Lovely new shoes!! You look brilliant.....I only wish I'd had someone like you to inspire me when my daughter was born!! All your outfits look amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, I'm so pleased to have flat yellow shoes now. There's times it can be a bit frustrating getting dresses but I suppose I just have to get on with it!

      Delete
  4. You seem to have got it cracked Trea, wait until the kids are teenagers and you're having to drag them out of bed at midday lol. I love those shoes but how doctor keep them on without a strap?? I've tried several pairs on and they won't stay put. Love the yellow with the pink too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait for those days! Lol. The shoes just seem to stay on, no idea how as I usually stay clear of that type of shoes. But thankfully they jut seem to work!!

      Delete
  5. I think you need that jumpsuit too! It was made for you and I can see how it works for breast feeding with a little discretionary scarf/cardi in place.

    And I was thinking how lucky you are with the yellow shoes - I love the shape but it's so rare for me to find a pair which actually flatter the feet and stay on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I have to get it Sue, it would work with flat sandals if all else fails so I'm sure I could get some wear out of it. I'm really surprised the shoes stay on, I wasn't holding out much hope for them.

      Delete
  6. Ooh yes the yellow lovelies. I had to order different sizes but my true size 5 actually fitted perfectly. I love the way you have styled them and it has given me a few ideas. :-) I am full of respect for your' look whilst breastfeeding. I succumbed to the wrap top and, pretty much, lived in them as I continued breastfeeding little N for 15 months. H xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see u in yours then Helen, I'll be stealing some inspo from you too then! I just can't bring myself to wear a wrap top, dresses aren't too bad but I always think the tops are very unflattering on me.

      Delete
  7. Love the yellow shoes, do they rub your heels at all? As a fellow breast feeder I feel your frustration re the dress situ, but definitely worth it, and there's loads of time to wear dresses when they're not clamped to your boob. Jumpsuit is great-I had a similar one when feeding number 1 and it was perfect, although I'm afraid I don't bother with a cover up, imagine having to eat your meal under a blanket!! Very envious that she is sleeping through-my youngest is 14 months and still wakes up for feeds at night �� All your outfits look lovely, thank you for the inspiration �� xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually don't and I have quite boney feet so have problems with most shoes rubbing me. I'm not even sure how they stay on, the vamp being quite high up helps I suppose but the heel stays put without rubbing. It takes a bit of imagination to dress at the minute but when I get back into the habit it'll become easier I suppose. Thanks for your comment, it's lovely to hear your thoughts! X

      Delete
  8. Sorry-those were a 'meh' face and a 'smiley' face! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep no advances in nursing clothing since I had Elodie in 2011 it seems. I'd buy the odd few bits if they were available but likd you I made do with vests & will once this one arrives. I miss my dresses too!

    My husband also likes his sleep & E was a champion sleeper from 6 weeks. Hoping when this one arrives it will also subscribe to the paternal narcolepsy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's brilliant, I just hope I haven't spoke too soon! When I've a bit more time I will try and hunt out some new brands, I think there has to be some trendier ones out there. If you ever come across any do let me know. Hope the pregnancy is going well, you can't have long left now?

      Delete
  10. You look amazing in everything you wear Trea and those yellow flats are divine! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE that River Island jumpsuit - it's been in my cart on ASOS for ages!!! How does it fit? TTS?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah pretty much Joanna, I'm usually in between sizes and this is the bigger of the two but it was a nice fit. So I'd go for your usual size!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are looking so fantastic atm Trea! Your yellow shoes were made for you! Well done little Miss C! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking great Trea, love those yellow shoes and Ann-Marie is right you should start your own little range of breast feeding tops, mums would love something that is a little bit more stylish than the ones available now.xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should definitely think about BF clothing. Like yourself, I used the vest undergarment technique but as Mother Nature skimped a little in the breast area, this worked very well for me but perhaps not for those ladies at the front of mother natures queue! I always found having a strategically placed scarf worked for feeding in not so private areas. I was always able to do it discreetly. Ponchos were in when I was feeding my first which were also great. Am thinking a kimono would work well too! You look amazing Trea. I really enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love bright coloured shoes and these ones are gorgeous! You look so summery:) Buy that jumpsuit, you look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments it's always nice to hear your thoughts.