Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Muffin marvellous

So now I’m back in the nice cosy office, on a comfy chair all day it has definitely helped me get back into my cooking routine. So far this year I have been eating pretty well – go me!!
 
My pregnancy cravings for fruit and veg have definitely kept me on the right track though. I’m a big eater at the best of times but pregnancy means I need a little bit more energy too, so I have to be prepared at all times, in case baby TnP decides they fancy a wee snack. On Sunday evenings I make a massive batch of savoury muffins to nibble on during the week. The wee man is mad into baking at the minute, so it helps to keep him out of mischief, but he always thinks he's getting cupcakes at the end of it so is a little disappointed.

I can’t eat gluten, so making anything with a traditional recipe and replacing the normal flour for gluten free flour is always a bit of a gamble, but this time I can say it paid off. I think the trick it to do it in recipes that don’t contain too much flour and a lot of liquid or eggs to keep the mix a little moist. These little beauties were amazing and so easy to make, and I’ve been asked for the recipe loads already, so I thought I should share. The basic recipe is from the ‘My Daddy Cooks’ book by Nick Coffer.

Makes:10-12 muffins (although I got 20)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes (about 18mins done me so keep a good eye on them)

For the base mix:
  • 125g extra-mature cheddar cheese grated (worth buying extra mature as it adds to the flavour)
  • 225g self-raising flour (I swapped for Doves farm Gluten free flour, and threw in a pinch of baking powder for good measure)
  • 175ml milk
  • 55ml olive oil
  • 1egg
  • Salt and pepper to taste
 You can then add whatever filling you want, so it’s great for using up leftovers. I added;
  • 3 rashers of chopped cooked bacon
  • 2 chopped tomatoes,
  • handful of chopped spinach (us preggo ladies have to keep our iron levels up!)
The recipe suggests adding 1 large carrot and 1 courgette both grated.
Mix the dry ingredients (flour, cheese and your fillings) then add the other ingredients (milk, oil and water) and smooth into a lumpy batter. Bung the slightly disgusting looking mix into a greased muffin tin, pat down and place in oven.


Remove after 18-20 minutes. They should be golden on top, and should sound hollow when you tap them. Leave to cool for a few minutes.


Mine have kept for 4 days in a sealed container, but they have been severely rationed, as I don’t think they’d have lasted a day otherwise. They are a big hit with kids and are a great way of getting a bit of calcium and iron into them, in the guise of a bun. Next time I think I may do them in bun cases too.
I have a bit of a thing for making savoury muffin type things. Another big favourite of mine is the quinoa pizza muffins, that I have shared before here. They are packed full of protein and feel like a ‘dirty’ snack when they are actually pretty healthy.

Even easier is egg muffins. I have no set recipe for this, as I just throw in whatever I have to hand. It’s the same as an omlette mix really. Beat a few eggs in, add a bit of pepper and a glug of milk and whatever filling you fancy, like cooked chopped sausage or bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms or broccoli, and a handful of whatever cheese you have. You could also spice these up a bit with a pinch of curry powder or cayenne pepper. Spoon into greased muffin tray and cook for 18-20 minutes, or whenever a knife popped in the middle comes out clean. Another great grab and go snack for the hectic lives we all seem to lead nowadays!

I love picking up easy, quick and healthy(ish) recipes, if you have any please do share them. I can never have too many recipes.

Tx

11 comments:

  1. I love savoury muffins, it's such a great little snack and fun for a buffet :o). Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely, I'll be doing these the next time I'm doing a party.

      Delete
  2. They look scrummy....will have to give these a go! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do Michelle, they really are easy, I'm living ok them at the minute!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, but they are so easy I can't really take much credit for them!!

      Delete
  4. I never ever think of cooking a savoury muffin - these look amazing. I actually think my two fusspots might like these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a big hit with kids, especially just out of the oven Fiona!

      Delete
  5. These sound devine - I could eat spinach with (almost) anything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh Trea, they look delicious. I shall be using this recipe xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed that you have lots of yummy recipes on your page and I would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: www(dot)alldishes.co.uk/top-food-blogs
    If you want to add your food blog for get more visit traffic to the list and have your recipes indexed on Alldishes.co.uk, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: www(dot)alldishes.co.uk/add-your-food-blogs

    Hopefully hearing from you soon,

    Thanks,
    Sakkarin Sº
    info@alldishes(dot)co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments it's always nice to hear your thoughts.