Thursday, 20 December 2012

Choccy Christmas treats


I was off work yesterday so done a little Christmas baking, that I'm going to give a few fiends as nice little Christmas treats. I have a few friends with Gluten intolerance's, as do I so I know how lovely it is to enjoy some wee treats without the crappy feeling afterwards. I got this recipe from a gluten free cook book my friend bought me for my birthday, and I have to say they are simply devine, its a foolproof recipe so they never last too long in our house. Obviously these can be made just with normal flour instead of gluten free flour.

I promise I didn't eat all of them (well not in one go anyway)

 
Recipe:
I have doubled the quantities in the recipe as there just wasn't enough of them.
 
250g (8oz) butter
400g (14oz) soft brown sugar
250g (8oz) plain chocolate (2 large bars)
100g (4oz) rice flour or gluten free flour
40g (1.5oz) cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
6 eggs
150g (10oz) nuts, almonds, hazelnut's or whatever you like (though I didn't use nuts as one of my friends daughter is allergic)
 
Method:
Preheat oven to 180C or gas mark 4, grease and line a baking tray with baking paper.
 
Place butter sugar and chocolate in a bowl over a bain marie (pan of simmering water) and stir until melted,
 
 
measure flour, cocoa powder and baking powder while the above mixture is melting,


once the chocolate, butter and sugar mix is melted sift in the flour, cocoa and baking powder mix,


then add the eggs, I only do three at a time as they can be quite hard to mix up,


mix all together into a smooth almost batter like consistency and pour into the greased and pre-lined baking tray, I have used a large one here, about the size for cooking a large roast.


Now the recipe suggests 35 minutes for the cooking of these, but I only do them for 20 minutes and I find they are perfect at this. They are starting to harden on the outside but are still gooey in the middle.
Remove from oven allow to cool for a few minutes and cut the 'crusts' off so you have nice straight edges and cut into whatever size squares you wish.


In all their gooey glory.


I picked up a few cheap jars in Tesco and B&M Bargains, added a little Christmas ribbon and red tissue paper, et voilá........................





1 comment:

  1. The crusty bits are the best bits! We fight over them in our house!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments it's always nice to hear your thoughts.